How to train according to the menstrual cycle?
There are small differences between women and men, but above all we distinguish ourselves from them due to hormonal causes. Likewise, we are also different with ourselves according to the day of the month, since our menstrual cycle is very complex .
The menstrual cycle is composed of three phases: follicular, ovulatory and lute. Among these are experienced physiological changes that are fortunately predictable and must be taken into consideration, therefore, you can adapt your routine to obtain better results.
This period begins once the menstruation is over. It has its beginning on day 1 until the 13th cycle. On the other hand, the following physiological changes are experienced:
- Increased sensitivity to insulin. Consequently your body has a greater tolerance to carbohydrates.
- Greater use of glycogen . In this phase, the main source of energy comes from glycogen, with which there is less fat burning .
- Reduced metabolism. One week before ovulation is when the lowest point of metabolism is found.
TRAINING: Take advantage of good training, since your performance is at a good point in this stage. You will get your best results. In addition, explosive exercises such as HIIT will help you reduce your metabolism so much.
FEEDING: As for food, you can increase your carbohydrate intake a bit. If you are in the definition phase, you can also increase your recharges slightly. In this way, the muscle will be easier to build.
This stage lasts between 16 and 32 hours, in on days 14 and 15 of the cycle, when the ovum is placed in the uterus.
- Reduced appetite. It is believed that this happens because nature wants us to focus more on procreating than it is to eat.
- Metabolism begins to rise.
- Increase in strength. We are at a high point of testosterone, so our strength will be greater.
- Increased risk of injury due to increased strength, since we do not have as much neuromuscular control.
TRAINING: As in the follicular phase, sports performance is seen benefited. So give your best in the exercises! Mind you, put into practice the best technique to not hurt you.
FOOD: Start to reduce carbohydrates in your diet, as your body tolerates insulin less and less.
- Increase in appetite.Did you know that this hormone slows down aging?
- Reduced production of serotonin, the hormone of happiness. Therefore, we will experience greater mood swings. In addition, this also affects that we have more cravings. You sound familiar? 😉
- Increased fluid retention.
TRAINING: After seeing the physiological changes of the last stage of the menstrual cycle, we advise you that during these days you do not perform high intensity workouts, since oxygen does not reach the muscles so much. So it's best to do aerobic sessions.
FOOD: If you manage to control your cravings and your intake during these weeks, the metabolic increase will help you burn more fat. Eating fruit or dark chocolate (85%) between main meals will help you stay firm with your diet.
To reduce fluid retention it is advised to eat without salt and drink as minimum 2l of water daily. Anyway, this advice is applicable throughout the menstrual cycle.
Listen to your body and understand it.
Enrich the post with your comment!